Earlier this year, tech giant Meta announced that Whatsapp is working on a new feature called “Communities” which helps people will be able to connect on WhatsApp in the groups that matter to them, starting today Meta CEO, Mark Zuckerberg officially announced that Whatsapp Communities feature starts rolling out Globally and this will be available to everyone over the next few months. To start Whatsapp Communities just Open WhatsApp > tap More options > New community.
With this new WhatsApp feature, you can create a WhatsApp community with up to 50 groups in addition to the announcement group. You can add up to 5,000 members to the community announcement group.
Apart from the WhatsApp Communities feature, the company has also announced that users will now be able to create in-chat polls, video calls that support up to 32 people, and groups that support 1,024 users.
Welcome to Communities 👋
Now admins can bring related groups together in one place to keep conversations organized.
Organized. Private. Connected 🤝 pic.twitter.com/u7ZSmrs7Ys
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) November 3, 2022
How to create a new community on Whatsapp
To Create a community on WhatsApp;
- Open WhatsApp > tap More options > New community.
- Now enter the new community name, description, and profile photo.
- Tap the green arrow icon to add existing groups or create a new group
- To add groups to your new community:
- Tap Create New Group or Add Existing Groups.
- Create a New Group: Enter the group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- You can create up to 10 new groups.
- You can add a group icon as well as a short description of the group.
- You can add participants later.
- Add Existing Groups: You can choose to add groups you’re currently an admin of to your community. Select which groups to add then tap the green arrow icon.
- When finished adding groups to your community, tap the green check mark icon.
You can add up to 50 groups in addition to the announcement group.
You can add up to 5,000 members to a community announcement group.
Groups are open for any community member to join.
A community announcement group will automatically be created for your community. This is a space where community admins can send messages to all community members in the announcement group.
We are rolling out closed groups and they may not be available to you yet. Please check back to see when closed groups will be available in your area.
Once a community is created, you can have full control over its management by easily switching from one group to another, sending important updates to members, and managing everything related to the groups and people within it, with the security of end-to-end encryption.
Communities, in short, are a way to bring together and bring similar groups with common interests together in order to have them at hand, both in terms of management and visualization.
WhatsApp will also offer admins new tools to manage communities, such as posting announcements to all members and controlling which groups are included. The WhatsApp blog also noted that Communities are end-to-end encrypted and will be available to all WhatsApp users in the coming months.
Whatsapp new features
In addition to Whatsapp communities, these are the new features announced by WhatsApp;
- Emoji Reactions
- File Sharing up to 2GB
- Admin delete
- 32-person video calls
- Groups with up to 1024 users
- In-chat polls
Additionally, WhatsApp is introducing a few new features to individuals and groups – the ability to create in-chat polls, 32 person video calling, and groups with up to 1024 users. Just like emoji reactions, larger file sharing, and admin delete, these features can be used in any group but will be particularly helpful for Communities.
Note: Whatsapp Communities feature starts rolling out Globally and this will be available to everyone over the next few months